Department of Geology Logo
Brief History

The Department of Geology came into existence in 1946. It was established with the endowment of a chair called ‘Tata Professor of Geology’ announced by M/s Tata and Sons Ltd. on the occasion of the silver jubilee of Patna University in November 1944.

However the Post Graduate department of Geology was opened in July 1946. Sir (Dr.) L. A. N. Iyer, an eminent geologist from Geological Survey of India was offered the post of J. N. Tata Professor to become its founder head.

Undergraduate teaching in Geology in the Patna Science College commenced from July 1949 under the headship of Dr. (Prof.) Raghuji Verma.