Department of Geology Logo
Departmental Profile

The Department of Geology came into existence in 1946. It was established with the endowment of a chair called ‘Tata Professor of Geology’ announced by M/s Tata and Sons Ltd. on the occasion of the silver jubilee of Patna University in November 1944. However the Post Graduate department of Geology was opened in July 1946. Sir (Dr.) L. A. N. Iyer, an eminent geologist from Geological Survey of India was offered the post of J. N. Tata Professor to become its founder head.

Undergraduate teaching in Geology in the Patna Science College commenced from July 1949 under the headship of Dr. (Prof.) Raghuji Verma. After the retirement of Dr. L. A. N. Iyer in December 1951, the post of Tata Professor in Geology was offered to Dr. S. C. Chatterjee in February 1952. Then came the era of new generation Geologists who took the department to even greater heights till the year 2000.

Our Department has Academic and Research Linkages with :

  • Geological Survey of India
  • Central Ground Water Board
  • State Mines and Geology Department
  • State Minor Irrigation Department
  • Bihar State Remote Sensing Application Centre
  • Geology Departments of Ranchi University, Ranchi & Vinoba Bhave University, Hazaribag